7 de julio de 2013

The More Loving One / El más amoroso

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well 
That, for all they care, I can go to hell, 
But on earth indifference is the least 
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn 

With a passion for us we could not return? 
If equal affection cannot be, 
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am 

Of stars that do not give a damn, 
I cannot, now I see them, say 
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die, 

I should learn to look at an empty sky 
And feel its total dark sublime, 
Though this might take me a little time.


Selected Poems (1979), W.H. Auden

*     *     *


Mirando las estrellas, sé muy bien

que no les importo en lo absoluto
pero en la tierra la indiferencia es lo de menos:
hay que temer de los hombres o las bestias.

¿Acaso nos gustara que ardieran las estrellas

con una pasión no respondida por nosotros?
Si la igualdad en el afecto es imposible
que sea yo el más amoroso.

Admirador como creo que soy

de estrellas a las que nada importa
mirándolas ahora no podría decir
que he extrañado a alguna todo el día.

Si desaparecieran o murieran las estrellas

aprenderé a mirar vacío el cielo
y a sentir su oscuridad total sublime
aunque me tome algo de tiempo.


Poemas escogidos (1979), W.H. Auden